Saturday, March 22, 2008

John 1:6 Bible Study with audio Sermon (coming tuesday or wednesday!)

John 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

A man, sent from God. Where else in scripture do you see such a thing? And this man, he is sent by GOD.

In Gen 45:7, you see that Joseph was sent by God. In Exodus 3:12, God sent Moses. He sent the prophets, who if they spoke a false word, were to be killed. He sent Saul, later known as Paul, to the gentiles in order to preach the gospel. And He sent Jesus, the Christ, His very Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

And God sent this man, John. When God sends a man, He sends him for a reason. This John, which you see from the context is the Baptist, and not the namesake of this gospel, what was He sent for? What will he do? What will God do for His great name through this lowly man?

John 1:6
6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

He is the baptist (one who baptizes people to repentance of sin)

John 1:33
33I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'

He didn't know who the Christ was but God told him when he saw the One on whom the Spirit descended, that would be Him

John 3:28
28You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, 'I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him.'

He wanted to make it perfectly clear that he wasn't the Christ, but the one sent to prepare them for Him


Malachi 3
1 "Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts.

Malachi prophesied about John the baptist being the messenger that would prepare the way for the coming of the Lord

Luke 3:2
2during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John the son of Zechariah in the wilderness.

The word of the Lord came to John in the wilderness


Matthew 3
John the Baptist Prepares the Way
1 In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea,

John was clearly the one to make way for the Lord

Mark 1:4

4 John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

He baptized for the forgiveness of sins and repentance

Mark 1:2

2 As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, "Behold, I send my messenger before your face,who will prepare your way,

he is the messenger

Luke 7:27

27This is he of whom it is written, "'Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.'

Malachi 4:5
5 "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes.

some also referred to him as Elijah... he was like Elijah the prophet

Luke 1:76

76And you, child, will be called(A) the prophet of(B) the Most High;for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways,

He was the prophet of the Most High, preparing His way... He is clearly who he was prophesied to be...

John was a man sent by God.
Jesus was with God and Jesus is God.
John was a man -- a mere man like ourselves.
He was a great man -- but -- a still, just a man.
Jesus is the Son of God
John is a son of man who was sent by God.

How do we know that John is the messenger spoken of in Scripture?
Matthew 11:10 says,
John is the man to whom Scriptures refer when they say, "Look! I am sending my messenger before you and he will prepare your way before you."

Don't forget that the John spoken of here is not the same John as the author of the Book of John. We are talking about John the Baptist here. He was the one sent by God. He answered the call fromg God! Have you answered the call from God yet?

It is important to take time to understand who John is as we continue to learn about his important role as a messenger.

You have been given an important role as a messenger for God. You have been called to go into all the world preaching the gospel to every creature!

2 comments:

michelle said...

i like how you ended this... i have to remember to apply the scriptures to myself where and when i can... awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your prayers, that means a lot to me.

Yes, FWT has really inspired and convicted me to start witnessing where I can, in my situtation.

God bless!

~Vanessa

Open The Bible

The best place to start when doing a Bible Study is to open the Bible. This site will promote the Bible and take teaching from the Bible, cross-referencing Scripture to ensure accuracy, commentaries and study notes. We will share God's Word without inference to feelings. We will be taking it one verse at a time. It might seem drawn out to some, but after you see how much information can be found in each verse, you will appreciate the study. Never again, will you be content to do a bible study on a whole book like Romans in one sitting again!

I invite you all to participate. Here are the rules...
1. On every Sunday (usually late in afternoon) I will send out an email informing you of what the verse will be for the following week. (don't assume that we will naturally go to the next verse, it could be that one verse might take a few weeks to cover adequately!)
2. during that week, do your own study on the verse and email your findings back to me by friday of that week.
3. I will take all of the information that I gather along with your studies and create one very intense biblical study.
4. I will email the study to each of you on my email list and will post it here on this site by the next Sunday.
5. Please refraiin from using terms like, "I think it means this..." or "this is what I feel it means..." The bible is clear and does not contradict itself. Let's keep it biblical for the edification of believers.

What is my goal? To help you get into God's Word more deeply than ever before. I want you to learn to do it biblically. By the time we finish a book of the Bible, you will know the contents like never before. We are to be edified by God's Word so that we can take this knowledge out into the lost world and reach the lost for Christ! send me an email if you have any questions!

Want to know the best way NOT to do a Bible Study? Go here!